Monday, October 7, 2013

Decisions, decisons, decision

More on my point about whether to mass produce or not.

The sports articles are fun. The research is relatively easy. I have plenty of source material from dozens of Internet sites, sports radio and TV.

I've used the interview type format because it makes the process of getting the information out in an entertaining fashion. The interviewer (my co-host) is a fabric of my imagination. What it serves is the Every Man voice. The voice on the street with a common or distant view of sports issues.

This is not meant as if I am a sports expert. I am not. I never will be. I just try plunge into these matters with a deeper perspective than the average sports fan would. That doesn't make me better than those who read my articles.

In speaking of the interviewer, I am considering altering his voice starting with my next article. In my opinion Dan Patrick is the best sports interviewer in the business. He is tough but firm. He is fair. He can be funny without being silly or condescending. I think using Patrick as my interview model would take my articles to a higher level.

Again, these sports stories are fun. They don't require a lot of work from me. LIFE demands a lot of work and energy from me. I don't know if I would have anything left to devote to volume writing.

Fiction takes a lot more energy from me because creation exhaust a lot of energy. Believe it or not, plotting is pretty straight-forward but prose is hard. Writing from the point-of-view of different characters is DAMNED hard. 

It also isn't easy to write interesting setting, breathe life into characters, and place all of the senses on every page without OVER doing it. Anyone out there who has written fiction can appreciate what I'm saying.

I'll admit though, when I finish a fiction piece, there is a certain rush that I don't get from doing non fiction.

Again, I have decisions to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment